New Castle, DE – New Castle County Department of Land Use remains open for business during the Coronavirus/COVID-19 health emergency. Every effort is being made to process land development applications and building permits, conduct inspections, continue planning projects, legislation, task forces, and address property maintenance concerns in a timely fashion without sacrificing the health, safety, and well-being of our residents, customers, and employees. Understandably as the health emergency continues to evolve, our response times may be delayed.
What we have done internally: We have educated our staff on proper hygiene, social distancing, self-quarantine in instances of suspected or confirmed contamination, and other guidance provided by the Centers for Disease Control. The Department has reduced or eliminated in-person meetings, opting instead for interactions via video and telephone conferencing as available, encouraging our on-line services and reduced non-essential business-related travel for all employees. Further, in accordance with County Executive Meyer’s directive: Every employee and member of the public will be required to use hand sanitizer or wash their hands upon entering any County facility; and there will be more frequent cleaning of our work areas, in various public-facing areas of the New Castle County Government Center.
What you can do: Adhere to social distancing practices and take advantage of convenient ways to conduct business with us by one of the following methods. Many of the Department’s services are available on-line.
- Online: www.newcastlede.gov/186/Online-Services
- Phone: Permits/Inspections/Planning (302) 395-5400 and/or Code Enforcement (302) 395-5555
- Email: General questions may be emailed to LandUse@newcastlede.gov,
- Code Enforcement concerns may be emailed to email@example.com
- Postal mail: All forms and fees may be postal mailed to the Department of Land Use, 87 Reads Way, New Castle, DE 19720
- Seek an appointment: Please call the appropriate Land Use Division for guidance (telephone numbers listed above). A manager will determine if a meeting is warranted or if the matter can be discussed via video or telephone conferencing.
If you must enter the New Castle County Government Center you will follow these procedures:
- Check in at the computer in the public lobby area
- You will then be directed to a conference room where you will be able to communicate with our staff via video conferencing
If you are dropping off an application, fees, or other paperwork, please put your materials inside the blue mailbox located inside the Government Center Public Lobby. A staff member retrieves any materials submitted daily.
Read more information here regarding our policies or visit the Department of Land Use website at www.newcastlede.gov/LU.