TROT - Therapeutic Riding and Ongoing Training
A message from Elyssa Doner:
As of Monday, March 16, 2020, all riding programs and services at Carousel Park are suspended until further notice for the safety of public health due to the Coronavirus. While Carousel Park will remain open to the public, all Equestrian Center facilities - the barns, the offices, bathrooms and the areas immediately surrounding the equestrian buildings, and the cross-country course - will be closed to the public for the duration of this suspension.
Carousel Park & Equestrian Center is prepared to give current students a credit towards next session for the lessons that will be missed as a result of this suspension. For families that would prefer to be refunded, please call the office at 302-995-7670, Monday through Friday between the hours of 9am and 5pm or email email@example.com.
We are taking every safety precaution to protect Carousel families and our community. We apologize for any inconvenience, and we appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.
Stay healthy, and we look forward to seeing everyone get back in the saddle!
Take care -
Equestrian Program Supervisor
Carousel Park & Equestrian Center
3700 Limestone Road
Wilmington, DE 19808
The therapeutic riding program at Carousel is committed to the goal of providing safe and beneficial therapeutic horseback riding to people with physical and cognitive disabilities. It is our mission at to improve the well-being of our students through equine assisted activities, by encouraging them to set goals, and providing them with the motivation to achieve those goals.
Therapeutic riding is $360 for a six-week session. Call (302) 995-7670 for more information. Financial assistance may be available for those who qualify! Call the office for more information 302-995-7670.
The therapeutic riding program at Carousel Park is a Professional Association of Therapeutic Horsemanship International premier accredited center. Lessons are available seven days a week.
Therapeutic riding programs develop relationships between the people with special needs, the certified instructor, and a special therapy horse. This creates an opportunity for individuals to reach beyond their disability through a therapeutic riding program.
Benefits fall under the following categories:
- Physical: The horse rhythmically and naturally moves the body in a manner similar to the human gait, improving posture, balance, and muscle control
- Cognitive: Improves sequential thought processing, increases the rider’s ability to articulate emotions, and develops social awareness
- Social: Assisted therapeutic riding nurtures a positive self-image. Individuals with disabilities are able to experience more independence, as well as develop an awareness of teamwork. All riders have the ability to learn skills and participate in a recognized sport. Riders are encouraged to develop a better self-esteem, which they can take with them and use in their everyday lives
Benefits of equine-assisted therapy include:
- Improved gross and fine motor skills, balance, posture, and coordination
- Increased independence at home and school
- Increased range of motion and muscle tone
- Increased self-esteem, due to the acquisition of skills in a recognized sport
Conditions impacted include (but are not limited to):
- Cerebral Palsy
- Developmental Delay
- Down Syndrome
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Sensory Disorders
- Spina Bifida
Programs at TROT
Therapeutic lessons run in sessions. The lessons will be scheduled every hour. Each student will have half an hour of actual riding per week. The second half of the hour will allow the student to groom and interact with the horse, as well as allow the instructor to speak with the parents and student about the lesson and to answer any questions they may have.
The therapeutic program is always looking for dedicated volunteers to assist with our lesson program. Please call (302) 995-7670.
Therapeutic riding lessons are scheduled seven days a week. We need side walkers and leaders. As some of our students require as much as three volunteers per lesson, we are always looking for dedicated volunteers.
3700 Limestone Rd.
Wilmington, DE 19808
Open daily, dawn until dusk