Resource Protection Area Technical Advisory Committee
Information Regarding Virtual Public Meetings and Hearings:
In accordance with 29 Del. C. Section 10006A, Public Hearings will be held as virtual meetings utilizing Zoom Webinar. Unless otherwise specified, the Multipurpose Room of the James H. Gilliam, Jr. Building located at 67 Reads Way will be accessible during scheduled hearing times for members of the public to attend virtual meetings in-person.
The appropriate weblink, call-in number(s) and webinar ID number for all hearings may be found approximately two (2) business days prior to the scheduled hearing date at the top of the appropriate meeting *agenda.
*NOTE: Up-to-date public hearing agendas including Zoom meeting log-in information are available in our Agenda Center and through the Meeting Schedule links below.
Additional information regarding Virtual Public Meetings may be found at: Virtual Meetings-Land-Use
Note for Applicants only:
Applicants must submit presentation materials electronically to the Department of Land Use no less than five (5) business days prior to the scheduled public hearing. Please email us with any questions.
Regular Meetings (Public Hearings)
- The dates for the RPATAC Public Hearings are listed below, all meetings start at 9:30 a.m.
- All Public Hearing dates, times and/or locations of meetings and hearings are subject to change.
Generally, the RPATAC can accommodate two (2) applications at each Public Hearing. Complete submissions will be added to their Agenda on a first come, first served basis.
There are 13 members on the Resource Protection Area Technical Advisory Committee (RPATAC). Members are appointed by the county executive to four-year terms. The chairperson is designated by the county executive.
- Ellie Mortazavi (NCC Department of Public Works – GM Surles’ designee)
- S. Douglas Hokuf, Jr., PE (Department of Land Use – GM Hall’s designee)
- James White (Environmental Advocacy Group)
- Ping Wang, PhD (DNREC)
- Stephanie Baxter (DGS)
- Marian Young (Chamber of Commerce), Committee Chair
- Andrew Hayes, P.E., R.L.A., C.E.R.P. (Private Sector Representative)
- Jonathan Hawkes (Water Company Representative)
- Andrew Homsey (U of D, WRA)
- Kevin Donnelly (New Castle Conservation District)
- Rick Beringer, P.E. (Private Sector Environmental Professional)
- Michael Ellis, P.E. (Consulting Engineers’ Council)
- One vacancy (Chemical Industry Representative)
About the Committee
As stated in Section 40.30.430 of the New Castle County Code, the purposes and duties of the RPATAC are to:
- Provide technical support and recommendations to the Department concerning the technical definition and criteria of any resource protection area or level as depicted in Table 40.10.010.
- Advise the Department when it is determined that environmental standards contained in this Article should be amended.
- Provide technical support and recommendations to the Department, Board of Adjustment and Planning Board concerning any application concerning an Article 10 standard.
- Advise the Department when the RPATAC determines that Article 10, or any regulations, interpretations or policies promulgated pursuant to Article 10, should be amended.
- Assist the Department as requested.
- Provide technical support, review and recommendations on all floodplain variance applications and variance applications concerning the reduction of the required OSR for major residential land developments depicted in Table 40.04.110.
- Upon the request of the Department, RPATAC shall provide recommendations regarding application of the standards to rezoning, subdivision, and land development submissions relative to any issue involving a protected resource.
- Provide technical support and recommendations to the Department concerning the transfer of development rights from one WRPA to another.