Cross Country Course
Welcome to the Carousel Park and Equestrian Center Cross Country Riding Facility
Carousel Park and Equestrian Center, Home of the Mounted Patrol has long been known as a premier riding facility in Pike Creek, New Castle County. With 27 acres of brand new cross country jumps, you may choose to enjoy the gallop course sprinkled with natural logs hewn from Carousel Park, or roll tops, and other jumps designed to help you condition your horses for the more difficult schooling jumps.
Our schooling field offers a wide variety of jumps such as ditches, banks, wedges, corners, a water jump or any number of other amazing challenges Carousel Park has to offer. Whether you are an elementary rider, training level or anywhere in between, there is something here for you, and the course is so big, you won’t have to wait in line to hone your skills.
Our jumps were built both locally, and abroad. Frank Stafford a long time Pike Creek resident is well respected for his jump building skills. Frank has been creating jumps in his garage for twenty years. You’ll also find his beautiful work at Fair Hill Equestrian Center, and Radnor Hunt. Frank built many of the new jumps at Carousel and you will love riding some of them, including the dog house, roll tops, and benches.
Eric Bull of ETB Equine Construction located in Scottsville, Virginia also built many of the jumps you’ll find on our course. Eric has built jumps for Windurra USA, Fair Hill Equestrian Center, and Plantation Field to name a few of the many notable courses so Carousel Park, and Equestrian Center is in good company. His portable jumps include benches, wedges, corners, chevrons, feeders and roll tops, which range from elementary to training level heights.
Jeff Kibbie, a three star event competitor, designed the course you will be riding. Jeff and his wife Bonnie are USEA competitors from Coatesville, Pa. Jeff has been a certified course designer since 2005, and among other notable equestrian assignments, has designed courses for various events at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Kentucky. His wife Bonnie is a veterinarian, and both enjoy a life and love of horses. Jeff designed the course to be versatile and offer challenges for riders of all ability.
What are the jump heights?
- Elementary 18” (Maximum of 2’)
- Beginner Novice 2’5” (Maximum height is 2’7”)
- Novice 2’9” (Maximum height is 2’11”)
- Training 3’1” (Maximum height is 3’3”)
What kind of jumps are on the course?
- Double Chevron
- Hanging Log
- Dog House
- Roll Tops
- Water Feature
Hours of Operation
9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Must be off the course by 7 p.m.
What is the cost?
$50 per rider/per horse/per day includes dressage, cross country, or hacking out.
You will find staff members on-site to assist you with registration and payment.
Where do I park?
The entrance for the cross-country course and dressage arena is located at 3100 Skyline Drive Wilmington, DE. See the signs for Cross-Country entrance through the double gate in the white board fence. Staff members will be on-site to assist you.
Rules for Schooling
- Liability waivers must be signed and payment made before unloading your horse from the trailer. Any violations will result in ejection from the course.
- Riders may not school alone!
- Coggins accession number will be required on the waiver.
- All riders must wear an ASTM/SEI helmet, protective vest, and boots.
- Park trucks and horse trailers in designated area only.
- Riders are responsible for control of their horses at all times.
- No public restrooms or access to water are available at this time.
- Bring water for your horses to drink as well as sponging down after riding.
- Medical arm bands are highly recommended for safety.
- No dogs allowed on the cross country course or left unattended at/in vehicles. Please leave your dogs at home!
COVID-19 Requirements for Cross Country Course and Dressage Arena Use
- Please follow the 6’ social distancing guidelines when visiting Carousel Park.
- Leave adequate space between trailers while parking.
Masks (face coverings)
- Masks are always to be worn by all participants except when riding.
- Riders must carry masks with them while mounted in case of emergency.
- All participants must sanitize hands BEFORE and AFTER registration is completed.
- Payment must be in the form of a check or exact cash.